<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 22, 2008

For those of you who know, last week I was pretty panicky.
Not only did I have to do loads of NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance) to confirm the structure of the compounds I've made or isolated over the course of my semester but the NMR timings were fully booked out for the last three weeks. Spoke to a tutor about it, who as a mark of how compassionate she was, scolded me for not booking earlier. Me in the state of nirvana that I was, sorely wished access to the Zulu culling song. Whilst I did manage to squeeze in a chance to do 2 out of the 7 NMRs, fate turned against me and as luck would have it, the tubes I used were the last two NMR tubes and the person who came after me who had officially booked the session had none to use. Unbeknownst to me of course. The lab attendant then started reprimanding me threatening to dump my preciously prepared chemicals.
Sensing a disturbance in my fragile equilibrium I made off during my lunch break to have fried chicken wings. Bought myself a paper and settled down for a good read alfresco whilst having succulent chilli salt fried chicken wings and rice (AUD$6.50).
It drizzled.
It rained.
Then it poured.
Reducing my newspaper (AUD$1.00) to mush and me to stuffing as much chicken as I could before running to the nearby bus stop to catch a bus back to school to avoid the rain. As Murphy would have, it no sooner had I reached the bus stop and waved frantically like a lunatic did the bus driver signal right out of the bus stop.
It was there in that bus stop forced to share the same space with a couple (who had found a novel way to keep warm) that eyed me suspiciously, that I complained to the Lord how sucky the week was for me, rushing one psych assignment only to have the east chemistry lab printer fail, leaving me to running from library to west chemistry lab to try and get my assignment printed. How not after two minutes of submitting it 40 minutes late did I realise that I had forgotten to include a portion of my appendix for the experiment that I designed. How the chemistry lab tutor was exceptionally snooty and rude, well more so than usual. How I had 3 assignments due, in 2 weeks with yet another neuro psych quiz. How there was no way on God’s little green earth I could get a passing grade without doing my NMR’s. How on Wednesday not only did I have to suffer the lack of sleep for the nights before but in addition had other caregrouply duties to perform. I’m not saying I wasn’t wrong. I’m saying that I was miserable. You get my point.
After a couple minutes of complaining (though it could be longer), a sudden rush of peace came in my heart. The words “I’ve got your back” came into my heart along with the lyrics from Hillsong’s “friends in high places” song. Does this mean I now approve of Hillsong songs? Hmm…. Just as the Lord used the donkey for Balaam.
And lo’ the rain cleared up, I managed to get back to school without absorbing too much water for the second 3 hour lab. The course co-ordinator popped in and inspiration struck. I asked if I could use another lab session in another level 3 course to do the NMR’s and he agreed saying it was an excellent idea.
Since last week, I have:
1. Completed all my NMRs
2. Gotten letter of reference from my chemistry prof.
3. Spent the same time in the lab as I did last week, only I have correctly assigned my NMR’s (anyone who has EVER done NMR’s will tell you they are excruciating to assign). Found the correct mechanism for one for my experiments as well as a hidden secret rule for another. Found the correct structure for one of my hidden secret character compounds (something that can normally take hours or days).
4. Got back one of my behavioural psych assignments for which I got…hmm how best to put this? I could not possibly get a higher mark…
5. Discovered instant ravioli was on sale.
Now in favour I believe… I’ve still got plenty to do and a scary seemingly impossible synthetic chemistry exam but I think someone’s got my back for them

And for those of you that didn’t know, now I’ve informed you.
That is all.
Jon.P™

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?