<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, December 12, 2005

So much has transpired over the last few days that I couldn't help but post a new entry.

For one I've just returned from a Christmas shopping trip in Taipei. I'm very glad to say that almost all the gifts ready. Scratch that out, what i meant was, all the things needed to make the gifts have been bought, now i'm ready to begin making them.

Amongst other things that I've gotten in Taipei are:
1) A digital Camera (So you can expect some photos up once i figure out how to do it)
2) More Naruto Gasphon (I seem to have a soft spot for them)
3) A cooler for my laptop (which i think is really cool because it can transform) ( From 1 fan to 3 fans)
4) Fatter (Lovely Mee Suah, mushrooms, Sze Char, Chicken, Beef noodles, fries ....)

Speaking about fries something happend today that really moved me. On my way back from Hsin Chu (We made a detour for some specific gift) back to camp I stopped by the usual fried foods stall to order a chui pi to fu (crispy skinned tofu) and fries. The auntie there over heard that I was going back to Heng Chun on wednesday and she gave us our order as a treat. This struck a chord in me, I've always thought of the Taiwanese (and chinese in general) as money grubbing monkeys albeit money grubbing monkeys with excellent service (most of the time), who are out to squeeze your leather wallet till it oozes milk. But this incident has changed my mind about them and also highlighting to me that i'm abit narrow minded in this area. By way of honouring her act of kindness and generosity I decided to mention this incident in this post AND eat the fried foods she gave me BEFORE my noodles (I now REALLY like noodles).

Anyone going to Taipei should note that toilets there are in short supply. (I realise from the last post that i haven't said my peace on this subject). Those that you do manage to find are at best disappointing. Case and point, in my initial trip to Taipei I searched the entire Xi Men Ting area for a toilet for the better part of 20 minutes. Fortunately I was able to find a Macdonald's that had a total of *ahem* one cubicle for ALL of it's patrons. I don't mind telling you that there was a pretty long line of 'hoppy', serverely agitated people.

Then of course there is the issue of finding CLEAN toilets. Which leads one to ask: What is the number one cause of such terrible standards in lavatory hygiene? Why are public restrooms in such a deplorable state? Why? Because of the public basically. Too many times have I come across someone else's "left overs", this is a form of generosity I do not approve of.

Then there are the toilets in camp. Considering that it's winter and that toilet seats are really really good thermal conductors, I find the phrase " freezing your butt off " not the slightest bit funny. The times when I do get the seat right after someone feels lovely at first ( I do not deny it) because the expected bite from the chill isn't there, then it dawns on me; this is someone else's butt warmth. Which is a very disturbing thought, which i force out of my mind by concentrating on the article at hand; Hercule Poirot (No it's not a euphemism for something else)

Amongst all possible toilet mishaps there is none in my opinion that can hold a candle to that of a toilet with the seat cover lid down. Typically several things cross my mind when I see a toilet with the seat cover lid down.

1) Why is it down?
2) Is there anything in there THAT bad that the previous user felt a need to hide it?
3) What kind of sick and perverse person would want to do this to another fellow human being?

There are times when I lift the lid (not before taking a deep breath first) and there's nothing more to be concerned about than pale blue fresh flush water. Then there are those other times when the contents ( I endeavour to put this across as tastefully(haha) as I can looks like a badly made prop, out of a very low budget B' movie, that not only didn't make it to video, but is currently in the employ of several top secret agencies across the globe as psychological tool of torture of the highest restriction.

I should move away from this topic.

My thanks to Pam who really put winter into perspective; she facing 0°C temperature over there. Suddenly 10°C just doesn't seem so bad.

Jonathan's Gem for today: A tip on managing anger against people.

Whenever someone does something bad or inconsiderate towards you which gets you boiling, particularly if they're unbelievers remember this : " They've only lived they're lives best as they knew how, even if they knew better. "

It might not always be true but i find it helps cool me down.

What if they are believers? You know what scripture says...

That is all
Jon.P™

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?